Saturday, April 9, 2011

Music Can Teach

I love music. It has the power to lift you up and fill you with light. I've found that even in good music, however, we can find incorrect or non-productive ideas expressed in the lyrics. Last night I heard one of Usher's songs and one line in the chorus says, "So dance like it's the last night of your life."

I thought about this and I just don't agree. Through the Gospel plan we understand that death doesn't exist, there's only life. When our mortal bodies pass into immortality, we're not dying but becoming more alive than we've ever been.

I understand the thought that if you only had x-amount of time to live, you'd most likely do the things which seemed either the most important, or most enjoyable for you. But, I also feel that if we truly understand the everlasting nature of existence, we will not only be unafraid of death, but we will live more fulfilling lives. This fulfillment will then come from our love and understanding of live, rather than from our fear of not having another chance to do this or that and acting on the fearful impulse of doing it now.

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I appreciate your insight. I'd also like to add a simple feeling that I enjoy about music ... Often we have feelings that words can't convey. I love it when I'm listening to a piece of music/lyrics and "AHHH, YES ... THAT'S HOW I FEEL, THOSE ARE THE WORDS!" :O)
    Love you Joe.
    ~Mom~

    ReplyDelete